There is not much benefit for an organisation to invest in evacuation equipment if the members of their team are not trained to use it properly. It could even make the situation worse because this equipment could give the people a false sense of security. It is vital to not only purchase the appropriate evacuation equipment but also have staff members who know how to use it. K5 is a company that specialises in evacuation chairs and access products, and we are also able to provide training so that users are fully up to speed on how to use these items.
Good Reasons to Fully Train Staff Members to Use Evacuation Equipment
Here are some of the most important reasons for why the members of your team need to be fully trained to use evacuation equipment:
• It is usually not enough for people to just have knowledge about how this type of equipment works. They also need to have practical experience of using it, so in the event of an emergency they will know exactly what to do.
• Just reading the operation manual for these products is usually not enough to ensure competence.
• In order to use this type of product safely, the person needs to be confident. The way to develop this confidence is to be trained properly.
• As well as gaining experience in the use of the different types of evacuation equipment, it is also important to learn about evacuation planning. This is something that we teach students who attend the K5 courses.
• In order to stay competent in regards to evacuation equipment, it is important for people to be regularly refreshing and updating their knowledge. Just because a person went on a course on evacuation equipment ten years ago, it does not mean that they are still competent to use this type of safety equipment.
• If people use this equipment incorrectly they could be putting their own health and safety in danger.
• As well as understanding how to use this type of equipment, it is also important for trained people to understand their responsibilities in this regard. For example, there could be legal consequences if people used this equipment in an unsafe manner.
In order to benefit from evacuation equipment, it is important that staff members are fully trained. K5 offers a number of different training courses including; operator training, key trainer days, and train the trainer sessions.